Tenno Town Council is the first council in the Trentino region to have obtained EMAS registration (February 2005) and UNI ISO 14001 certification in September 2004.
During these two trienna certification periods Tenno Town Council has developed and constantly implemented a programme for environmental improvement and has achieved important results regarding the following environmental aspects:
- Decreasing production of waste and increasing separate waste collection.
- Safeguarding the water in the lake and the surface water within the territory.
- Saving water resources and protecting springs.
- Recovering terracing and retaining walls.
- Encouraging typical local products.
- Promoting environmental education amongst citizens, with particular attention to school children.
- Taking measures to promote "green purchases".
Considering the results achieved at present and in the recent past, the new council Administration also confirms and re-launches the guidelines illustrated in this environmental policy:
- To operate in compliance with all current law and regulations on environmental matters and with environmental requirements underwritten by the organisation.
- To identify and constantly update the environmental aspects and impacts that result from its activities and from those outsourced to third parties, including those resulting from new activities.
- To pursue constant improvement aimed at reducing environmental impacts and preventing pollution by defining objectives and targets and planning an environmental management programme.
- To maintain territory management policies that are aimed at promoting the value of, and safeguarding the landscape and environmental resources, with particular attention to the quality of the water in Lake Tenno and local waterways in general, as well as preserving terracing, the liveability of the old town centre and its features.
- To safeguard and guarantee quality of life with a view to sustainable development on a local level in collaboration with all sectors of the local community.
- To plan a sustainable economic activity so the expectations and the needs of residents and other players and users in the territory are compatible.
- Raise awareness and train its staff and establish environmental criteria for selecting the companies that supply products and services in order to implement the active participation of all in achieving the objectives of the environmental policy.
- Encourage conscious behaviour within the municipal structure and amongst Residents and tourists alike, regarding the collection of waste, efficient energy use through energy efficiency measures and the use of alternative renewable sources.
- Promote awareness of the actual policy to all staff, citizens, tourists and anyone else who may require information.
(Council resolution no. 30 of 28.10.2010)